Wednesday 8 April 2009

Be my number two - Joe Jackson

Taken from his 1984 album 'Body and soul', 'Be my number two was single number three, and unfortunately the least successful of them. While 'You can't get what you want ('til you know what you want)' and 'Happy ending' made the charts in the UK, Australia, and America, 'Be my number two' was only a minor hit in the UK, peaking at number 70.

I discovered the song years after it was released, and was immediately impressed by the arrangement. The rather aggressive instrumental at the end of the song is a beautiful contrast with the rather vulnerable lyric and first half of the song. After discovering the song, I spent years finding the single. I was relieved when I finally found it.

My collection: 7" single no. 1903
Found: Record fair, Den Haag, May 2, 1993
Cost: 2 guilders
Tracks: 'Be my number two' / 'Heart of ice'

2 comments:

  1. this song is my 2nd favorite joe jackson song.steppin out being the first.

    made a mash of my 3rd fave"you can get.."
    here http://vinyl80s.blogspot.com/2009/03/cant-mash-em-all.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, these fantastic 7" rips of yours sometime have instrumentals on the B-side.you will make us mashers very happy if you could post some! thanks in advance :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising