Friday 23 October 2009

Don't let the sun go down on me - George Michael and Elton John

'Don't let the sun go down on me' was originally a hit for Elton John in 1974. The single peaked at number 16 in the UK singles chart. However, it was this live version, performed together with George Michael, that made the song even more popular.

The track was recorded live at a concert in Wembley Arena on March 25, 1991, where Elton appeared as a surprise guest star of George Michael, the duet became a massive hit. It reached number 1 in the USA, the UK and the Netherlands. The proceeds from the single were divided among 10 different charities for children, AIDS and education.

The B-side of this single is a live performance of the Stevie Wonder song 'I believe (when I fall in love it will be forever)'. The first verse sounds a lot like Mel & Kim's 'Who's gonna catch you'. Or rather, I think it's the other way around...

My collection: 7" single no. 3256
Found: House of Rhythm, London, October 20, 2000
Cost: 60p
Tracks: 'Don't let the sun go down on me' / 'I believe (when I fall in love it will be forever)'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising