Monday 5 October 2009

Escape (The Pina Colada song) - Rupert Holmes

Contrary to the belief of some, Rupert Holmes did not wrote 'Escape' after a similar event as told in the song happened to himself. Instead, the lyrics were inspired by a want-ad he read while idly perusing the personals. As Holmes commented, 'I thought, what would happen to me if I answered this ad? I'd go and see if it was my own wife who was bored with me.'

The chorus originally started with 'If you like Humphrey Bogart', which Holmes changed at the last minute, replacing the actor with the name of the first exotic cocktail he could think of. The song landed at number 1 in the US Billboard Hot 100 in December 1979 and number 23 in the UK singles chart in January 1980. In the Netherlands, the single reached number 13 in February 1980.

My collection: 7" single no. 299
Found: Disco Market, Den Haag, 1985
Cost: 1 guilder
Tracks: 'Escape (The Pina Colada song)' / 'Drop it'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising