Saturday 31 October 2009

I feel for you - Chaka Khan

'I feel for you' was originally written and recorded by Prince in 1979 on his self-titled album. In 1984, Chaka Khan recorded a cover of this song for her album which was also called 'I feel for you'. The repetition of Khan's name by rapper Melle Mel at the beginning of the song was originally a mistake made by producer Arif Mardin, who then decided to keep it. Khan's version featured an all-star supporting cast, with rapping from Melle Mel, keyboard and guitar by The System, and harmonica playing and sampled vocals by Stevie Wonder.

The single peaked at number 3 in the US Billboard Hot 100 chart. In the UK singles chart, it reached number 1 and in the Dutch Top 40 the single peaked at number 7.

My collection: 7" single no. 1047
Found: Record Exchange, London, October 17, 1989
Cost: 50p
Tracks: 'I feel for you' / 'Chinatown'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising