Sunday 24 January 2010

Everything I own - Boy George

'Everything I own' was written by David Gates to be recorded by his band Bread in 1972 on their album 'Baby I'm a want you'. Although the song is frequently interpreted as a romantic love song, Gates actually wrote the song as a tribute to his late father. It quickly became a popular standard, recorded by artists such as Olivia Newton-John, Rod Steward, Chrissie Hynde... and Boy George.

Boy George's version was a reggae treatment of the song, released as his debut solo single after Culture Club split up in 1987. Coming at the time of his arrest for possession of heroin it provided a major boost to his career. It was a number 1 in many countries, including the UK, Italy, Norway, Canada and South Africa. In the Dutch Top 40, the single peaked at number 3 - Boy George's only top 10 hit in the Netherlands to this day.

My collection: 7" single no. 4439
Found: Kringloop, Sassenheim, January 23, 2010
Cost: 0,12 euro
Tracks: 'Everything I own' / 'Use me'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising